Books on the list below are selected to support and encourage your development of a discipline of silence. They are arranged in categories, by author surname. Categories include:
Short introductions to silence; Christian meditation and contemplation; books focussing on particular practices of silence; autobiographical and more general books about silence; solitary or hermit life; prayers and meditations; classic texts on silence and prayer; and more in depth books for further study.
the book list
Short introductions (less than 25 pages)
- Pierre Lacout, God is Silence, London: Quaker Home Service, 1985.
- Wendy Robinson, Exploring Silence, Oxford: SLG Press, Fairacres, 1979.
Silence and Christian meditation and contemplation
- Sister Jeremy Hall, Silence, Solitude, Simplicity: A Hermit’s Love Affair with a Noisy, Crowded, and Complicated World, Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2007.
- Martin Laird, Into the Silent Land: The Practice of Contemplation, London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 2006.
- Martin Laird, A Sunlit Absence: Silence, Awareness and Contemplation, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Richard Rohr, Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer, New York, NY: Crossroads Publishing, 1999.
Other books on silence with God
- Catherine de Hueck Doherty, Molchanie: The Silence of God, London: Fount Paperbacks, 1982.
- Maggie Ross, Writing the Icon of the Heart: In Silence Beholding, Abingdon: The Bible Reading Fellowship, 2011.
- Catherine Doherty, Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer, 3rd edition, Ogdensburg, NY: Madonna House Publications, 2000.
Books on specific practices of Christian meditation or contemplative silence
On Centering Prayer:
On Centering Prayer:
- Cynthia Bourgeault, Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening, Lanham, MD: Cowley Publications, 2004.
- Keating, Thomas, Invitation to Love: The Way of Christian Contemplation, London: Bloomsbury, 2011.
- Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel, New York, NY: Continuum, 1995.
On John Main’s meditative practices:
- John Main, Word Into Silence, London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 1980.
- Lawrence Freeman, Light Within: Meditation as Pure Prayer, London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 1986.
The Jesus Prayer meditation:
- Per-Olof Sjögren, The Jesus Prayer: Learning to Pray from the Heart, London: SPCK, 1975.
- John Twisleton, Using the Jesus Prayer: Steps to a Simpler Christian Life, Abingdon: Bible Reading Fellowship, 2014.
Autobiographical and general books on silence (some content from faith perspective)
- Anne D. LeClaire, Listening Below the Noise: A Meditation on the Practice of Silence, New York, NY: HarperCollins, 2009.
- Sara Maitland, A Book of Silence, London: Granta Books, 2008.
- Max Picard, The World of Silence, Stanley Godman, trans., London: The Harvill Press, 1948.
- Graham Turner, The Power of Silence: The Riches That Lie Within, London: Bloomsbury, 2012.
Books about solitary or hermit life and silence
- Bernadette Flanagan, Embracing Solitude: Women and New Monasticism, Eugine, OR: Cascade Books, 2014.
- Paul A. Fredette and Karen Karper Fredette, Consider the Ravens: On Contemporary Hermit Life, Bloomington, IN: iUniverse, 2011.
- Karen Karper Fredette, Where God Begins to Be: A Woman’s Journey into Solitude, Bloomington, IN: iUniverse, 2004.
Prayers and meditations
- Sister Wendy Beckett, Meditations on Silence, London: Dorling Kindersley, 1995.Carla A. Grosch-Miller, Psalms Redux: Poems and Prayers, London: Canterbury Press, 2014.Thomas Merton, Dialogues with Silence: Prayers and Drawings, London: SPCK, 2002.
- Helen Waddell, The Sayings of the Desert Fathers, London: Fontana, 1962.
- Benedicta Ward, Selections from the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publication, 1975.
Classic Christian texts about silence and prayer
- Catherine of Sienna, The Dialogue, available in various editions.
- Meister Eckhart, with Introduction by David Steindl-Rast, Meister Eckhart, From Whom God Hid Nothing: Sermons, Writings and Sayings, Boston, MA: New Seeds Books, 1996.
- Ignatius of Loyola, The Spiritual Exercises, available in various editions.
- John of the Cross, Ascent of Mount Carmel, available in various editions.
- John of the Cross, The Dark Night of the Soul, available in various editions.
- Julian of Norwich, Revelations of Divine Love, available in various editions.
- Matthew Levering, On Prayer and Contemplation: Classic and Contemporary Texts, Lanham, MD: Sheed & Ward, 2005.
- Teresa of Avila, Interior Castle, available in various editions.
More detailed, academic type books for deeper study
- Lawrence Freeman and Stefan Reynolds, eds., John Main: The Expanding Vision, London: Canterbury Press, 2009.
- Thomas Keating, et al, Spirituality, Contemplation and Transformation: Writings on Centering Prayer, Brooklyn, NY: Lantern Books, 2008.
- Beverly J. Lanzetta, Radical Wisdom:A Feminist Mystical Theology, Minneapolis, MN:Fortress Press, 2005.
- Beverly J. Lanzetta, The Other Side of Nothingness: Towards a Theology of Radical Openness, Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 2001.
- Diarmaid MacCulloch, Silence: A Christian History, London: Penguin Books, 2013.
- Rachel Muers, Keeping God’s Silence: Towards a Theological Ethics of Communication, Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2004.
- Maggie Ross, Silence: A User’s Guide, London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 2014.
- Dorothy Soelle, The Silent Cry: Mysticism and Resistance, Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2001.
The DVD's are arranged by title.
the DVD list
- Into Great Silence, directed by Philip Gröning, 2006.
- No Greater Love, directed by Michael Whyte, 2009.
- The Way, directed by Emilio Estervez, 2011.
- The Big Silence, directed by Barney Snow and Clare Bradbury, first transmitted 2010.
- The Convent,
- The Monastery, and
- The Monastery Revisited